Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Medical Records

I decided a few weeks ago, after reading a comment made through an email, that i needed to get copies of Parker's medical records from Children's National and our delivery hospital.  I've needed to do it for a while, but i knew they would be a hard read, and just kept putting it off.

So far I've only gotten the records from our delivery hospital.

I already know that both boys have Greg's blood type.  Greg apparently, did not.

The Admission Physical Exam made my stomach start turning.  I know he was on a ventilator and that's what kept him alive for 53 hours, but reading the Neuro notes made my feelings about being given false hope a whole lot more justifiable.  

Parker's Neuro Exam was noted as "floppy, no movements, no reflexes, pupils restricted, and minimal reaction to light".

As much as that description makes me want to puke, it angers me even more.  It sounds like they already knew our son was brain dead, and would never lead a normal, productive life.  Keep in mind Parker was only at delivery hospital for a few hours, before being airlifted out to Children's National.

Now dont get me wrong, I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to have the time we got with Parker.  And we are very blessed to have been given that time.

How much more could you have fucked up my already shattering life?

"Discussed in detail better with parents what we did.  Option to go to Children's for "Head Cooling" trial.  They understand poor prognosis. They were reluctant to transfer baby, but they realize he needs to be at testing facility to be able to make any more decisions about care".

BULLSHIT!

We knew our son was in trouble, from the moment he was pulled out of my belly and Greg saw him, and i started questioning why he wasn't crying.  We were told by Dr Spurr, the NICU Dr. at delivery hospital, that their facility couldnt provide the level of care our son needed.  We were told Fairfax didn't have those capabilities either.  And that Children's was our best bet.  Especially since they have the head cooling trial.  The head cooling trial was going to reverse the damage done during the 20+ minutes when Parker didnt have a heart beat or oxygen going to his brain.  Parker would make a full recovery at Children's National.  I honestly thought after signing all the paperwork for the medical trial, that eventually we would bring our boy home. Dr Spurr lead us to believe that we had a long road of medical treatments and hospital stays ahead of us, but Parker would be a healthy boy, one day.  

Not once did Dr Spurr mention anything about Parker's Neuro exam results.  I really feel like they sent him to Children's for no reason.  My OB knew, that's why i was given my day pass.  Dr. Stone at Children's knew, he told Greg Tuesday morning when Greg went to go visit Parker and talk to his doctors. So why couldnt Dr Spurr just tell us during the 4.5 hours that Parker spent at delivery hospital?

Maybe Parker would've over filled some quota regarding infant mortality, or some patient death rate for Dr. Spurr. I really dont give a shit either way.  But if that's the case; own it, take some fucking responsibility.

I'm really regretting not suing the hell out of Dr Spurr before our statute of limitations expired.  I dont know what law or statute we wouldve fried his ass under, but giving parents false hope concerning the well being of their newborn, is just morally fucked up.  I dont know what our options are now that our statute of limitations has expired, but having read Parker's medical records from delivery hospital makes me want to write a letter to the hospital expressing my concern for other parents/infants in similar situations to ours being given advise/care by Dr. Spurr.

1 comment: